What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

twenty years later...


I get inspired by many things. Art, Nature, Mom's Cooking, Old comedians, people passing me by on the street, birds, dogs, cats, old television shows, my family. Friends. But there's something about Hip Hop that hits that extra nerve of mine that gives me that extra umph to do something now. To do something Original. Especially around this time of year. I think its because I was introduced to Hip Hop in the summer of 1989 that I always associate Hip Hop with the summer. Some of my favorite Hip Hop memories happened in the summer. But the most vivid ones were the times I heard a track for the first time. Like when I was in the backseat of my cousin Ray's car in the Bronx and he played me Tread Water by De La Soul or when I rushed home to put on Tical by Method Man or when my cousin shared with me the story behind Pete Rock and CL Smooth's T.R.O.Y. Later on I would be inspired by the whole culture aspect, but to this day whenever I hear one of those tracks from my early days in Hip Hop I feel like I have the strength to conquer the world. Only something so magnificent, pure, magical and strong can still that effect on someone 20 years later.

I'm going to try to post more Vlogs on here. Below is my first attempt. Maybe I'll do more. Maybe not. For now, this is what I'm offering as an audition. Check it out and you'll see how much Hip Hop is really apart of my daily life.


audition from Shane Alexander on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment