What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

missin' jim carroll


Today a friend of mine posted a picture of one of Jim Carroll's books. Fear of Dreaming. Immediately, I thought of how I haven't read one of his lymrics in a long while. How I haven't taken the time to pick up his book. But I also thought that I have come a long way since I was a young inspiring writer who wanted to write like him. Before I started a blog, I used to jot down my thoughts and poems on scrap-paper or if I were lucky, a notepad I would buy for a dollar at the corner store. Carroll inspired me to write. The movie Basketball Diaries gave me the strength and courage to write my deepest feelings. Even then, it took me years to really write what I was really feeling. But he paved the way. Whenever I feel like I'm in a creative drought. Whenever I feel like I feel to go back to my roots and feel how I once felt about writing and my love for the English language, I think of Carroll.

I'm sorry I haven't thought of you in a while. I will always be indebted to you for what you inspired me to be and who I have become as a writer.

Thanks, Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment