What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Sunday, September 19, 2010

everything i needed to know about love and women i learned from hip hop


Hip Hop has always been a friend of mine. There to give me advice. It has taught me about life. From the political spectrum, to black history to street life philosophy. However, it has also taught me about love. And women. Hip Hop has taught me about both with various tracks over the years that inspired me to be a good boyfriend. However, it has also taught me to respect women. The following are some tracks I have heard along the way that helped me be the person I am today in the love department.

U.N.I.T.Y - Queen Latifah -
The track was released on my favorite and maybe Queen's best album ever. The track's message is simple. It raised awareness about violence towards women. U.N.I.T.Y has become a classic not only because of its conscience value, but also because of the beat that Latifah rhymed over superbly.

Bonita Applebum - A Tribe Called Quest
- This track I used to rhyme along with in front of the mirror before I went out because it had some of the best pickup lines like; “I like to tell you things some brothas don’t. If only you can see through your elaborate eyes. Only you and me hon, the love never dies”. The song was fun and taught me how to talk to girls. Remains one of my favorite Hop Hop songs ever.

Passin' Me By - The Pharcyde - Every guy is able to relate to at least one of these schoolboy heartbreak tales. I think this is why this joint is so timeless. Still relevant today. That and also because of the timeless beat.

The Light - Common - This song taught me to respect your women as a women and as a friend. How unity within the relationship is as important as trust and loyalty. It was heartfelt and romantic. The song also plays wonders on dates just before doing the dirty.

Me and My Bitch - Notorious B.I.G
- If you read between the lines, the song is actually pretty sweet. Really. It is. The song says that your girl should be your friend - even if you're robbing the bank with your boys.

You Got Me - The Roots feat. Erykah Badu - This track has some of the best lines like; “Startin buildin’ with her constantly round the clock. Now she in my world like hip-hop.” and "If you were worried 'bout where I been or who I saw or what club I went to with my homies. Baby, don't worry you know that you got me". The song to me is about trust in relationships.

Honey Dips in Gotham - The Boogiemonsters - The song is just sweet. The ultimate Hip Hop summer love track to listen to on a date when the sun is going down and having a picnic drinking a brew on the beach. Line of mention? “Ebony rose from the Earth getting darker in the sun. Cocoa-mocha complexion brown sugar with the smile”.

Searching - Pete Rock and CL Smooth - This song is about relationships. A sleeper hit from the legendary duo from their last album before the break-up. The samples used in the track, Roy Ayers song "Searching". is too dope. Best line? “You’re everything that I dream about, talk about. Walk around and brag about, cause I don’t give a damn about. What they say, what he say, or she say. I’m addicted like drugs to your loving, but hey. You got me strung like I’m young and it’s crazy”

Brown Skin Lady - Black Star - Even though the lyrics pay homage to African women, I think this song really pays respect to all women. The duo had a classic on their hands with this one.

Eye Know - De La Soul: Another feel-good Hip Hop love song from the three plugs. The track was a bigger hit in the U.K when it was released but still remains a Hip Hop cornerstone as De La's first hit single.

Mind Sex - Dead Prez - The song is about being able to have a relationship with a women and not having sex getting in the way of getting to know your partner. Taking your time with it. Furthermore, able to have mental organisms - which could be more important and better than the physical ones. For me, this is one of the most important love songs. Ever.

Ladies First - Queen Latifah feat. Moni Love - The song title says it all. Ladies First. An important song of Hip Hop and of music all together. Queen and Moni talk about how the ladies have come on the scene and are able to battle with the men if need be. And we all know, they have. Ladies First, yes? Yes.

I Need Love - LL Cool J - Considered the first Hip Hop ballad, LL makes a very honest plea about how he needs love. One of the most beautiful Hip Hop tracks ever, the song still gets me. One of the very few songs I know every lyric of. Still my favorite Hip Hop of all time. Favorite line? “You can scratch my back, we’ll get cozy and huddle. I’ll lay down my jacket so you can walk over a puddle. I’ll give you a rose, pull out your chair before we eat. Kiss you on the cheek and say ooh girl you’re so sweet”.

I Used to Love H.E.R. - Common - This classic is a homage to Hip Hop. It's a Hip Hop anthem. I remember the first time I heard this joint, I found out that I wasn't alone about the feelings I had for Hip Hop. The song still gets me to tear a bit.

Retrospect for Life - Common feat. Lauryn Hill - Maybe the most touching Common track, the autobiographical lyrics talk about the pro and cons about abortion. It's touching, sincere, and thought provoking. A few years ago I remember listening to this song non-stop for a summer. I'm sure you know why. Still gets me.

You're All I Need - Method Man feat. Mary J Blige
- The first time these two teamed up on record made pure magic. Mary and Meth are like butter and bread. Ball and Bat. Blunt paper and Pot. Out of all Hip Hop love joints, this song has taught me the most about love and how to treat your partner as an equal and a friend. “Back when I was nothin. You made a brother feel like he was somethin. That’s why I’m with you to this day boo no frontin”

No comments:

Post a Comment