What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Monday, September 7, 2009

i got inspiration from a cobra, ok?



"Delirium Tremens" - Definition

Delirium tremens is a severe form of alcohol withdrawal that involves sudden and severe mental or neurological changes.



If you've been reading this blog for a while, you would know I'm someone who supports local music. Especially the local music that's good. Especially when the local artists that are cool cats. Fritz and Recordface make up OK Cobra. They're cool cats. I've been supporting them for years. Actually, I think when they released their self-titled debut just over three years ago, I did a review on that drop, also. The album got praise from me and the whole nation, really. The album's lead off single, Child in Rhyme got good airplay on college radio stations and was hailed as being one of the best tracks of 2006 by CBC Radio 3 along with follow up single, Time Flies. OK Cobra also reached the top spot on Chart's Hip Hop board.. Now, in 2009 the duo teamed up to make another album.


"After we made the last album in Montreal, I moved. a few times. (I am so sick of moving.)", reveals Frtiz on his blog. "Not living in the same city made it a bit harder for us to make music together." He continued. "me being a depressed, drunk, ego-driven drug-fucker didn't help much either. But we did some demos back and forth over the internerd, and every now and again when I could scrape up the change I would head up to Montreal for a spell and we'd bang on a few drums."

The banging worked. Maybe because the new album Delirium Tremens, off of Urbnet Records, has better beats? More truthful from the frank emcee Frtiz? A combo of both? Maybe. I don't know. The release shows maturity from the group. Maybe three years made them grow as people and artists that made them realize what they really want and how to spread their message as artists and as a group. I don't know. I just know that the music is great. I've been listening to it all week.


"Woodwork" is the first track on the CD after the boom bap heavy intro.
The song "is very real, based on my experience bartending for years." relayed Fritz in an exclusive interview last week. I asked him if all his tracks are like that. Truthful. Much like his blog. "Well, yes" he says. "For the most part. Although there is a bit of fiction on the album. But yeah, for the most part, I just write songs like journal entries. Sort of whatever I'm thinking about that day. Matter of fact, I sometimes go through my journal and find sentences or ideas that I like and turn them into songs. But yeah, very real experiences." The posse cut Five Finger Discount featuring fellow local Hip Hop mainstays including, Mista D from The Salads, and Psy from the Oddities, is the hottest Hip Hop track on the record that could easily go down as one of the best Canadian posse cuts in recent memory. Even though the album starts off real awesome and then looses steam midway and then picks up again, OK Cobra really showed they're wisdom to their craft with this release which makes the music sound even better than before. You'd think they were in the same studio when they were planning out the album. "It was a lot of back-and-forth over the internet". Recalled Frtiz. "We try to communicate as much as we can about the directions we're going in and the things we're working on, but I think we also try to surprise each other as well". He continued. "I think Tim tries to throw beats my way that I'm not expecting, and I know I try to do different things vocally as well. But yeah, I write things and record demos and send him vocals and we try different words over different beats until we find things we both like."

Years ago Frtiz was one of the writers out there who inspired me to start a blog. His writings are inspirational. Maybe this album would inspire me to write rhymes, next? Who knows. Maybe I'll write them a bit more. This album is just good inspirational boom bap hip hop from the northern land. Get inspired.

1 comment: