What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Saturday, July 23, 2011

norway tragedy hits home..


I know people form Norway. I went to school with a couple of them. It's been years since I've seen them. I do remember them being cool people. Funny. Strange accents. Great eyes.

That's the only connection I have with Norway.

Knowing a couple Norwegians.


It's funny when tragedies go down in places you've never been, you tend to dig up these old memories to make the story more personal to you. So you can feel. So you can make some type of connect the dots between you and the headline.

Why?

I don't know.

I guess if we don't, we don't care and if we don't care we don't seem like good human beings. It's a busy world. Tons of news going on every minute. We trap ourselves in a place where we only listen to stuff that we feel is important to us. When the Big Story doesn't hit us like we think it should, we dig deeper. To find that connection. Then it hits. Then we feel. Then we mourn. Then we feel like everyone else.

The couple of guys I did know from Norway I met at school. They were exchange students. They would've been around the same ages as those kids at the boys camp in Oslo. When I first heard the news, I went to that personal place and immediately thought of the guys and if they were shot. I cringed. I felt. I know the boys over there are most likely nothing like my old schoolmates but again. That was the only way I was able to feel for the situation. And then I went deeper. Those kids were someone else's mate. Exchange student. Friend. Lunch partner. Facebook Friend.


Imagine.


Stupid, meaningless deaths caused by an anti-Islamic right winger. Your mate. My friend. His facebook pal's life ended short because someone who hated a religion decided to dress up as a cop and go on a hitting spree batting five-hundred.

As the days go on and the next breaking story comes up on the news ticker station, we will forget about our fallen Norwegian chaps. It's only natural. But before that happens, I'm going to make sure I reconnect with my pals from Norway and just tell them Hei and I've been thinking about them and hope they're doing well. A small message but I'm sure it will make them feel. Feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment