What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

give me some radio and i'll tune in.


Ever since we saw the death of the legendary CHUM 1050 and the birth of TV on the Radio, CP24 1050, people have asked me what are my thoughts of the format flip. For those who know me, they know I'm more of a radio purist. I don't know if I just made up the term, but that's the simplest way to explain my background with the craft. I come from the days of creative radio and actually think that original product is needed in every major market. I come from the line of thinking that TV doesn't work on Radio. I come from the line of thinking that the people in charge should've had at least some type of experience in the booth. I guess you know where I'm going with this. Why was CHUM so special? Because of the music? Because of the great talent? Because of the wonderful Rock'n'Roll culture it cultivated back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's? It's all of that but most importantly it worked because the people in charge were not only from radio but loved it. I'm not saying that 1050's new owners don't know what they're doing but I'm sure they could come up with some type of creative and original idea to make the old 1050. Maybe music isn't working on AM anymore. Maybe they didn't want another talk radio station in Toronto, but at least try to come up with something innovative to keep the dial position respectable. I've tuned into 1050 a few times since it's premier and I don't like it. Rather listen to 680. Why? Because it's TV not radio. Give me some radio and I'll tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment