What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Sunday, April 26, 2009

no drinking in the bar room


This was the first weekend in almost a year where I didn't drink. It went well. Tough, but well. Coke and Sprite. That was it. No Red Bull like last time. No secret shots of alcohol in the back. Just straight pop. I don't know if I'll go for another 97 days. I think It'll be one of those every other weekend type of deals. When I feel like I need to cool down and detox. I got home earlier than usual since I didn't stay until last call and was able to catch the bus. Night bus' are so slow. I would've thought they would be faster because no one is getting on, hence less stops. I thought wrong. Felt odd walking home at 12.30 sober. I felt a bit scared, actually. Missing my liquid courage. Last night I went to bed at 1am and woke up at Noon. No hangover. No smelly drinking breath. No memory loss. It was perfect. Funny, when I drink and should be sleeping in, I wake up early and when I don't drink I sleep in.

I forgot how much I liked to notice people's slow progression of intoxication. It's funny how you can basically pinpoint the second when they are gone with no turning back. Funny to think that I might act like that. Funny to think that people might be doing the same thing to me. Things that make you entertained sober at a bar on a Saturday night, I guess.

I made Burgers when I got home last night. Too good. A bit of olive oil, lemon juice, BBQ seasoning and basil made up a great burger with tomato sauce and a touch of pepper. The burgers actually tasted like an old burger joint I used to go to all the time in North York where my Dad set up his office. Brought back memories of how they would have extra oily onion rings and I would love eating them until my chest hurt. They used to also have self brewed root beer that I used to get all the time. That was a cozy place. Too bad they're not around anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment