What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

i stayed awake during awake..



After hearing some really bad reviews on Jessica Alba's psychological thriller Awake, I opted to check it out when it came out on video. Tonight was the night. At first I thought the movie would focus on Alba's character (Sam Lockwood) as a grieving newlywed when her husband Clay Beresford (Hayden Christensen) dies from a surgery gone wrong. Extremely wrong while he was awake during the operation that saw him getting a heart transplant. However, they had some twists and turns along the way that made this movie pretty enjoyable and engaging. Another thing that I was surprised about was that there weren't as many sick-turn-your-face away type scenes while in the surgery room that I thought I wouldn't want to see.

Hate the sight of blood or anything that has to do with the insides. That's why I'm a writer and not a doctor.


The movie concentrated on other things. Can't say. Don't want to spoil it for you. It's the other things that made me stay on my feet wondering what will be next. If the production company had promoted it in a way that they would be something else than just a movie about some dude awake during his surgery maybe it'd would've done better in theaters. Granted the acting could've been better and some factual goofs were obvious to anyone with a grade one eduction in medicine, the mystery of it all would've made people overlook the minor flaws and think of this movie as a pretty good outing for Alba and company.


I gave it 6 1/2 out of 10 Alba heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment