What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Monday, June 18, 2012

synthetically metric.




The latest Metric album surprisingly crept up on me while riding the World Wide Web Friday afternoon while on a Via Train on the way to a mini-vacation in my second home state of Michigan. I was sent a link that  lead me to the lead off single from Synthetica, Youth Without Youth. At first listen, I heard some similarities to Nivana's cornerstone 90s classic, Come As You Are. Metric lead Emily Haines'  was able to pull off the non-intentional impression of the late Cobain. However, when the single continued, the song started to sound more Metric. More New Wave. Less Grunge.

I ended up getting the full album before I hit Windsor. I had to listen to it on the home stretch.


The album had a similar feel to it with a mix of New Wave and  a 90s Rock twist. Until we hit the sixth track on the 11 song release. Lost Kitten had a 80s-pop texture where the beat was so good, I ended up forgetting that the diddy also had lyrics.

Actually, most of the songs on this album were like that. Production leading the Words.

While I wasn't too impressed with this Broken Social Scene bredrin project, it was the production that got me through the whole thing, added with a few high points on songs like; The Wonderlust, Nothing But Time and Dreams So Real. Background noise at best while working around the house or even trying to write a good essay.

Synthetically, it was Metric, but just needed a bit more to get up to that real Metric potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment