What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

thanks, dick.

I got goosebumps last night when I heard the news. Pop cultures oldest youngest brother had passed away. Dick is gone. Most identify him with one of his many ventures. Bandstand, Pyramid, his New Years Eve rocker, but if you wanted to be in the Broadcasting game, you looked at Dick as The Man. The Man you wanted to be like. No one else will in this age will be as rangy and genuine as Dick Clark was. Starting off in radio leading to TV, becoming a producer, and the head chef of a million dollar empire, Dick did it all and always had that kid like smile on his face. He had passion, and love for what he did. Something that I `got' when I heard him speak about his wonderfully packed life. I `got' that he believed in progression, while being smart with where you're going and putting your money.

Beneath all that charm, comedy and smiles, he was one smart business man.

My first memory of Mr. Clark (I don't use "Mister" too much, but I believe Mister Clark deserves it), was watching Bandstand as a young boy. Years before I ever thought I'd have radio dreams or want to be in the music bizz.  American Bandstand was the show where I would go on the floor and test out my young boy dance moves. Copying the kids on the TV. I also remember watching him on 10,000 Pyramid. Then, of course, Rocking New Years Eve. Years before I was allowed to go out to celebrate, he was my NYE party pal.  Like millions of others. I just know every year, he counted down along with us and did it enthusiastically, wishing us a good year. And you know he truly meant it.

Calling him Mister might seem odd as he was just like your older brother. The older brother that never became an adult. He was America's Oldest Teenager, after all. But in another way, it isn't odd. Because he commanded it. He had your respect for all he did. And how he carried himself. Mister, Brother, whatever you might call him, Dick Clark will be missed by millions.

So Long, Dick.

Thanks Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment