What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Saturday, July 18, 2009

we remember: wally


I wasn't around when he talked about that guy being shot. I wasn't even an idea when they walked where they thought no one ever would. It was before my time before when he talked about this, this and that, too. He left the Tele when I was 3 years old. However, I still remember Walter Cronkite. Why? Because he was that great. Sure, I did have many hero's in Toronto media to look up to as a kid. As someone who wants to be a broadcaster or a journalist in Toronto, I think you're lucky to have some great teachers in the game. You still do. You have to study them, though. Listen to them. Study why they constructed that phrase that way. Why they used those words. That expression. Why they paused after saying that. That's what I did with Walter. It wasn't till I got well into my teens I knew about Cronkite. My father told me. Then some media pals told me. My father got me some video tapes of Cronkite's biggest moments. I realized why people remembered him. Loved him. Why America trusted him. I would look at those tapes over and over again, and do the exact same thing I just said to do. Studied him. Everything about him. What really stood out about Cronkite is that you can tell he wasn't talking at America - using a script or a teleprompter, but he was talking with us - just using notes. Like an old friend, catching up on some recent events in our lives. He was just chatting. America loved his company.

Last night while I was watching and reading the tributes pour in for our dear old Wally, I wished I was there for when he announced the Presidents death or when someone walked on the moon or that faithful night when he said his goodbye. I guess That's The Way It Is..


There will be a bit of us in you forever, Walter.

Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment