What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Thursday, May 21, 2009

the little ones..


Years ago when I was interning at the old Z97.3 (which would later become the powerhouse EZRock) I worked in the newsroom with the late Brian Henderson, an old radio sort who knew how to write a story. One day a news story came into the newsroom that he asked me to write. The story was about a 7 year old girl going missing after playing in the playground by the apartment building where she lived. I remember I wrote a story that went like this Missing. A right pink shoe, blue jeans, a blue sweater and a 7 year old girl. Henderson loved the story and ran with it - even though he did give me a lesson in radio news writing first by changing 7 year old girl to a little tot only 7 years of age. I forgot the girls name that went missing that would later be found dead in the basement of the building where she lived, but I remember it didn't really strike me as being odd. Or scary. I was younger. I was her age just a decade before, and still. Nothing. No fright. Nothing. That feeling continued over the years as kids went missing and found dead. I felt for the family. I mourned their loss. I wished that the people who committed these crimes would rot in hell, but other than that, nothing. It had no real personal attachment to me.

Until now.


When I heard the tragic end to the search for tiny Tori Stafford, I just froze. Again, I repeated the same feelings and thoughts I had years before about kids coming up dead, but this time it hit way too close to home.

I'm an uncle, now. I don't know what I would do if this happened to my two nieces or my nephew.

I came up in a very overprotective family. I couldn't even take the subway till I was in my late teens. I hated it. I thought I would've grown more as an individual if I were able to explore more as a person if I didn't have that leash on me until such a late age. I promised myself that I would never be like that to my nieces or my nephews or even my own kids. But it seems like it's different now. I guess it all changes when you have them. Kids.

I still feel like I will be that cool uncle every teenager wishes for when the three tykes get of age, however right now, I don't know how I would let them out of my sight for one second. I don't know how I would live if I knew I was responsible for them going missing.


The hatred I have against the two arrested is even more greater then years before when I heard similar news. Just imagining they did that to my two nieces or nephew. I don't know what I would do. I don't know what I would do to them.


It's way too soon to say anything on the case as it's less than a day since the arrests were made. It's too soon to come to conclusions. However, I do know one thing.


Next time I see Jazz, Nate and Izzy I'm going to hold them a bit closer and never let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment