What We're Reading:

G&B: Apologies to Sting

It's been a blast, folks. The Worlds Most Popular Podcast is signing off. Truth to be told, there's not enough hours in the day for ...

Sunday, March 8, 2009

unemployment line...


It's a weird feeling being unemployed. I'm not going to get into specifics about why, how when when it all went down, but I am Unemployed. First time in Nine months. It was a long ride. Met some cool people, had a bunch of fun and well, pretty much loved every minute of it. Can you believe that? I'm sure you can't. Even during the down parts of my gig, I told myself, that it could be a lot worse. At least I'm doing something I enjoy doing. For the most part.


When I carried my box out and sparked up a smoke on Thursday, I was confused. I knew it was coming, but now that it was here, I didn't know what to do. I thought, "Ok, I'll go home and sleep. Take today off. See what happens tomorrow" Always thinking that I had to return to work after the weekend. Trying to break anything that you was a huge part of your life for almost a year is really hard to do. Yesterday morning, I woke up thinking I had to go to work. Odd. It was a Saturday. If I were still working, I would've done my mandatory Saturday shift last week. Even when I want to sleep-in I couldn't.

Unemployment is a new concept for me, again.

Right now I'm going through the drills. Sharpening up my resume. Making calls. Talking to the bank. Making sure everything will be ok. Trying to keep busy. Checking Craigslist, Monster and other job sites. Again, trying to keep busy. Trying not to fall into that hole that most people fall into when they accept the fact that your cubical that you called your home away from home is now an empty desk waiting for its next tenant.

The best part of the first few days of unemployment is that you're so hopeful about
the future. You try to draw out an idealistic plan for yourself on where you'll be going next but then you have to be realistic and go back to your original course of action and try to settle with what you can get as soon as possible.

What am I going to do? I have a few ideas in mind. I think I'm still in the middle of the idealistic plan and the realistic plan. Trying to keep both mind and trying to keep both as a realistic goal to only be achieved in a very short period of time.

The downside of it all is that I'm getting a lot more headaches just getting confused easily. Wondering what will tomorrow bring. What will I be doing? What will I be doing to keep myself busy?

We'll see. I guess that's what everyone says when they're in this position. It'll be alright. I'm sure it will be. I have plans. Put them into action. In the meantime, I'm going to stay busy and try not to think too much.

Heck, I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment